Brescia House School is an independent Catholic girls’ school situated in the heart of Bryanston. Established in 1966 with only 196 learners, Brescia House School is one of South Africa’s leading girls’ schools. Over time, the school has developed an excellent reputation for the development of outstanding young girls who, benefiting from a well-rounded and balanced education, are able to make a meaningful contribution to society.
Brescia House School believes in
- Creating a Christian atmosphere, in which principles of truth, love, justice and reverence become the criteria in life’s decisions.
- Working to achieve academic excellence and the development of the whole woman in all facets of her potential.
- High standards of behaviour and discipline and in the importance of the individual and in her creative self-expression.
- The dignity of all persons and in respecting the rights of others.
- An open environment where all persons of our richly diverse society may grow in mutual understanding and acceptance.
Brescia House School is an independent Catholic girls’ school, which serves the Catholic community but welcomes children of any denomination.
Admission to the school is determined by whether the prospective learner:
- Is a Catholic
- Has a sibling in the school
- Is the daughter of a past pupil
- belongs to a previously disadvantaged group.
- The date of application is also taken into account.
The School’s data programme automatically weights applications according to these criteria.
The school accepts no more than:
- 24 learners into each grade 0 class (total 72 learners)
- 26 learners in all other classes (total of 78 learners per grade)
- In emergencies or to accommodate the sibling of another learner a 27th pupil may be accepted into a class.
Innovation in Academics
- In the primary school there are two phases namely, the Foundation Phase – Grade R to 3 and the Intermediate Phase – Grade 4 to 6.
- Foundation Phase skills include Literacy, Numeracy, Life Skills, ICT and Physical Education.
- In the Intermediate Phase, girls continue developing their skills and talents in language, learning and communication (English, Afrikaans and isiZulu), Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Technology (ICT, Technology, Economic and Management Sciences) and Arts and Culture.
The Grade 7s are part of the Secondary School and continue their path in the Senior Phase – Grade 7 to 9, the final phase being the FET phase of Grades 10 to 12. Pupils are prepared for the matriculation examinations set by the Independent Examinations Board, and we are proud of our consistently high achievement record in these examinations. Brescia House School’s vision is to create a dynamic learning community where the use of ICT is integral to the learning of every girl. Access to the school’s wireless facility makes it easy for pupils to work from anywhere in the school – including outdoors during break time. In November 2015, Brescia House School was selected by Microsoft as a 2015-2016 Microsoft Showcase School for our excellence in transforming our learning environment to deliver more personalized education to students, using mobile and cloud technology to better prepare students for success in the workplace. This is the second year in a row that Brescia House School has been awarded this accolade.
The main purpose of sport at Brescia House School is to provide each individual pupil with the knowledge and experience to want to be FIT FOR LIFE.
Our sporting facilities include two hockey fields, a mini astro, a full aquatic complex with heated pools and a hotpot, eight tennis courts, netball courts and good relationships with the Bryanston Country Club and the Randburg Sports facility.
Brescia House School boasts not only wide participation in sporting activities, but also top achievements in diving, swimming, tennis, hockey, netball, indoor hockey, indoor netball, girls’ soccer and athletics.
Beyond their classes, students will participate in a wide array of integrated cultural activities throughout the week. Each year, senior girls take part in the Mathematics and English Olympiads as well as Art, Music, entrepreneurial and environmental projects and competitions.
Public speaking and debating develops confident and articulate young women and provides them with an invaluable skill that will serve them well throughout life. Field trips, often entailing a few days away, are a regular feature of school life. Music is also a vital part of school life, both in worship and in recreation, and the school has four active choirs and several instrumental ensembles. Teatime concerts are held every two weeks and regular evening concerts offer opportunities for pupils at all levels to showcase their talents.
Since 2008, Brescia House School has been actively involved in the Eco-Schools programme managed by WESSA. We continue to encourage recycling with the collection of ink cartridges in exchange for trees which are planted on the school grounds. Brescia House School was awarded The Platinum Certificate Year 1 for the Eco- Schools work done in 2013. In order to achieve this certificate, a school needs to sustain environmental education and management for six years.
Brescia House School’s motto, translated from Latin Serviam, means ‘I will Serve’. We proudly strive to live up to the philosophy of Serviam to God and our neighbours through identified projects in our surrounding community. Despite the economic constraints we all face every day, Brescia House School pupils, parents and staff continue to give geneorusly of their time and energy, as well as donations for worthy causes. Our numerous Community Outreach activities are enthusiastically supported.
Global Education Programme
Brescia House School is part of a worldwide Ursuline network of schools, committed to the education of young women in a manner which fosters in them the visions, hopes and dreams to contribute fully as participants on an international platform. The schools collaborate in a Global Education Programme so that pupils of Ursuline schools can travel and meet with their Ursuline counterparts, exchange ideas, form networks and develop the confidence that will stand them in good stead in the future.